I’ve just finished adding the first page for an individual man named on the original roll, Sydney Reddick of Ashtead. He is the very first man named on the original roll. His page will be the template for those that follow, though doubtless there’ll be some evolution along the way. Any ideas for how to improve the design gratefully received – it’s perilously close to committing the sin of using HTML tables for layout at the moment. The top of the page gives brief biographical data, when and where born and died etc; this is followed by some information about his ringing career; then occupation; and then outline of his army service (when he enlisted, what regimetns and battalions, and with what regimental number). The remainder gives a brief chronological account of the major events in his life, linked to the relevant sources at the end of the page, this should also explain anything in the “highlights” at the top of the page which may not be immediately obvious.
Sydney Reddick was the middle one of five siblings (four brothers and one sister) of Arthur and Eliza (nee Partridge) who married in 1888. He was born in early 1895, or late 1894, in Ashtead. His older brothers were Stanley (1889/1890) and Percy (1891/1892), his younger brother Ernest Arthur (1903/1904). Sadly, before the birth of his younger sister Eva Mary (March 1911), Stanley had died in 1908 aged 18. Arthur Reddick was a wheelwright, there is a good chance he worked for John Wyatt who owned the village forge and in addition to general blacksmiths work made miller’s wagons (see Ashtead Heritage Trail – Mole Valley District Council). John Wyatt was also captain of the local ringers, and father of Hedley James Wyatt who is also listed on the original roll. It was presumably through this connection that Sydney learnt to ring, the forge was known as the centre of local ringing, with ringing being the main topic of discussion (see Proceedings of the Leatherhead and District Local History Society, Volume 6, No. 9, p6 – thanks to those responsible for the Ashtead War Memorials website for the information). When that happened has not yet been precisely established, but he rang his first peal in December 1913, followed by another on the eve of the outbreak of war, Monday 3 August 1914, in both he rang the treble to Grandsire Triples.
By 4 December 1914 Sydney Reddick, along with George Albert Cook and Hedley James Wyatt, had joined “5th (Reserve) Battalion, East Surrey Regiment” at Wimbledon. This was a battalion of the Territorial Force. The timing suggests this was 2/5th battalion, but it’s not clear if they remained with 2/5th on the formation of 3/5th battalion in July 1915. Nor is it clear why he did not go overseas at this time. Up until 1916 it may simply have been that he did not sign the Imperial Service Obligation (the Territorial Force was designed for home defence), but once conscription came in this distinction ceased. It was not until September 1917 that he was finally posted overseas, initially remaining on the books of 5th Battalion, but after the normal final training period at an Infantry Base Depot he was posted to 26th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. Due to his status as a TF soldier, this led to an administrative transfer to 1st Battalion, the London Regiment, but he never actually served with that unit. Soon after his arrival with the battalion, the CO, who had only just taken command was killed by a German bombing raid, along with some other officers. Sydney’s morale cannot have been improved when word came that his brother Percy had died serving in Mesopotamia. The battalion was transferred to the Italian Front in November 1917, but returned to France at the beginning of March 1918.
The return came as part of the preparations for the half-expected German Spring Offensive. This was launched early on the morning of 21 March 1918. 26th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers were soon thrown into the desperate defence, from late on 22 March fighting in the area just north of the town of Bapaume, and falling back towards Achiet-le-Grand. Sometime before 25 March Sydney received his fatal wounds. His grave is now in Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery – this cemetery was only built after the war, so his original burial place is not yet clear. Within six months the family had lost two sons (and the eldest had died ten years previously). Fortunately the youngest son was not old enough to serve.
On 22 February 1919 a number of large memorial services for ringers killed in the war were held around the country. For London and surrounding districts the service was at St Clement Danes. Sydney Reddick’s name was included in the roll of honour read at the service. Over the next few years he would also be added to the Surrey Association roll of honour, the Central Council memorial book and the Ashtead War Memorials, a plaque inside St Giles’ Church (where he rang) and one in the churchyard at St George’s.