A few mentions of ringers serving in the forces ringing at Barnes have been found, though it generally appears not to be their home tower (and from a couple of reports it’s not even entirely clear if the men mentioned were actually ringers themselves, or just friends of the ringers). However, one particular report of ringing at Hoo St Werburgh by a group of ringers stationed at the Royal Naval Air Station is clear that one is a Barnes ringer:
- Frank Skinner — Royal Naval Air Service, RNAS Kingsnorth, Port Said Seaplane Base. [his civilian skills as a painter and decorator would have been useful in the days of fabric-covered, wooden aircraft.]
The ringers were ringing for the marriage of Commander Dane, Royal Navy.
Also mentioned in connection with Barnes are:
- Serjeant W C R Nimmo — 13th (Kensington) Battalion, the London Regiment (Princess Louise’s Own). [Not clear if was actually a ringer, there was ringing while he was home on leave to marry Miss E L Joseph]
- Corporal J Joseph — 13th (Kensington) Battalion, the London Regiment (Princess Louise’s Own). [Not clear if was actually a ringer, there was ringing while he attended wedding of Miss E L Joseph – possibly his younger sister, which also marked his 12th wedding anniversary]
- Private S Meadows — Army Service Corps [Mentioned as ringing at Barnes on a couple of occasions, and various other towers in SW London, but one reference states he is from Suffolk, and others suggests that Acton was his home tower]
- R Mackrill [rang a quarter of Oxford Bob Triples at Barnes on 21 January 1917 just before leaving to join army]
- Private J Willmott [rang a quarter peal of Grandsire Triples on 11 February 1917, J Wilmott also recorded ringing a quarter peal at Barnes on 23 June 1914]
- Pte J Hughes, Royal Flying Corps [rang a quarter peal of Stedman Triples on Sunday 5 August 1917]
- H Dewey, presumably Henry John Dewey of Reigate (he and his father were also closely associated with Redhill) is recorded as ringing a quarter peal of Stedman Triples on 13 December 1914
It seems many of these men also rang at Hammersmith, judging by a report in Bell News on 18 September 1915.
For information on the ringers today, see their pages on the church website.